My second-to-last act of love for my incomparable Mama was to prepare the music for her funeral service and visiting hours. With input from the rest of the family of course (Daddy in particular), I put together a CD to play in the background during viewing hours. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, but also one of the most beautiful. And although it is difficult even to write this, I do so with the hope that these songs may bring comfort to another who may be in a time of grief and loss.
- 10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord) – Matt Redman – Opening the playlist on a positive note, this song is about worshipping the Lord for his goodness. Even when our world may be crumbling.
- Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) – Chris Tomlin – Mama loved this version of the classic hymn. Incredibly beautiful, it both soothes and comforts.
- Be Still – Kristene DiMarco – By one of Daddy’s favorite singers, this track reassures that “He who placed the sun, the moon, and stars is here with me.”
- How You Live (Turn Up The Music) – Point of Grace – Advice on how to live a beautiful life or a tribute to one already lived, this song is perfect.
- Better Than a Hallelujah – Amy Grant – The idea that God hears a melody in our tears and our brokenness is a great comfort. Like it gives our grief permission to express itself, knowing that we will be okay.
- Blessings – Laura Storey – Even though we prayed for healing, we can still know that He loves us and sometimes His blessings come through raindrops.
- In Better Hands – Natalie Grant – Although we miss her dreadfully, we can rejoice knowing that she is in better hands now. And it is “like the sun is shining when the rain is pouring down.”
- In Christ Alone (Medley) – Phillips, Craig and Dean – A declaration of unshakeable faith, this song defines who my Mama was.
- In Your Presence O God – Paul Wilbur – One of my earliest memories is of Daddy singing this as a solo in church. It is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. His presence truly is a source of strength in times of grief and sorrow.
- There Is Nothing Greater Than Grace – Point of Grace – “There is no valley, there is no darkness, there is no sorrow, greater than the grace of Jesus. There is no moment, there is no distance, there is no heartbreak He can’t take you through.”
- Even If – Kutless – We almost included this one because of how perfect the lyrics are, but we ended up deciding against it because the musical style didn’t flow with the rest of our selections. I wish we could’ve used it, as this song puts to music everything my Daddy told us on the day Mama died.
- Be Thou My Vision – 4him – The opening song for the actual service, this was Mama’s all-time favorite hymn. The last verse breaks my heart every time.
- It Is Well (Radio Mix) – Bethel Music/Kristene DiMarco – The closing of the service. “Through it all, through it all, my eyes are on You. And through it all, through it all, it is well. Through it all, through it all, my eyes are on You. And it is well with me.”